In times when Kombucha and Green Tea have entered the vicinity of other beverages, the youth has become health conscious. Some for the sake of following the trend and others for the sake of staying fit and healthy. Either way, both these categories have started looking for health drinks to replace tea, coffee, and aerated drinks. We’re all aware that water is the healthiest drink that you can find. Drinking as much water as you can always be advantageous for your skin and organs. But what other drinks can you drink? And what nutrients to look for when you go out to buy a health drink. Here are 7 nutrients you should look for in health drinks:
- Polyphenols: Polyphenols are believed to prevent certain types of cancer such as prostate cancer and breast cancer. Studies have suggested that Polyphenols can also help reduce sharp increases in blood sugar level after a meal, which can be beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Antioxidants: antioxidants help protect cells from damage and decrease inflammation, which may help relieve certain types of arthritis.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is rich in immune-boosting properties and helps fight cold as well.
- Nitrates: If any health drink contains nitrates that are really beneficial for the body. Our body converts nitrates into nitric oxide, which helps lower blood pressure and improve blood flow. Studies suggest that it’s actually great to eat before you work out to increase stamina.
- Probiotics: probiotics give rise to healthy bacteria in the gut. These bacteria help in digestion and help your body to absorb vitamins and minerals.
- Potassium: potassium plays a significant role in regulating blood pressure and maintaining a healthy heartbeat.
But what are some health drinks that include these nutrients?
- Green Tea
Green tea has been hailed as one of the healthy drinks in Asia for centuries. Though it’s known for its healing and soothing properties, it has more in store than most people may know. Green tea contains a high level of polyphenols which as mentioned above helps reduce sharp increases in blood sugar levels after a meal, and is advantageous for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Pomegranate Juice
You’ll find that pomegranate juice is one of the most nutritious drinks that you will come across. It is packed with antioxidants that help protect cells from damage and decreases inflammation which may help relieve certain types of arthritis.
- Beet juice
Beet juice is a great source of daily nutrition which contains folic acid, magnesium, and nitrates. Our bodies convert nitrates into nitric acid which helps lower blood pressure and improves blood flow.
- Lemon water
Lemon water contains vitamin C which is great for your cold and throat. It is also very healthy for your gums and teeth. Moreover, you’re more likely to drink lemon water than water in huge amounts as it’s more refreshing and tastes good.
Like other fermented foods, Kombucha too is packed with probiotics that promote healthy bacteria in your gut. This bacteria helps in digestion as it makes it easier for the body to absorb vitamins and minerals.
- Coconut water
Coconut water is a source of hydration which also provides a surprising amount of potassium. Potassium is responsible for maintaining a healthy heartbeat and regulating blood pressure.
- Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice has a tangy flavor to it and is packed with antioxidants. The antioxidants help to prevent cardiovascular diseases and some types of cancer. It also promotes a healthy urinary tract. But since it’s got a tangy flavor, most brands mix it with a lot of sugar. It’s advisable to drink cranberry juice which is 100% juice as it’s a healthier option.
- Orange juice
Though the most ubiquitous out of all, fresh orange juice is one of the healthiest drinks to start your morning with. Everyone is aware that it’s a great source of vitamin C but what most people may not be aware of is that it also includes calcium, thiamin, potassium, and Vitamin D.
These were only a few examples for you to know which health drinks to try out and what nutrients you should look for in health drinks. Besides this, milk, red wine, water, coconut water, and other natural beverages that are available all around you tend to be the healthiest source of nutrients that you can find. So now when you go out to look for health drinks, remember to check if any of these 6 nutrients are present in there. One way to remember these 6 nutrients is to use this acronym “P3CAN” wherein the 3Ps include polyphenols, probiotics, and potassium whereas C is for Vitamin C, A is for antioxidants and N is for Nitrates. With the help of this acronym, indulge in the ‘PECAN’ way of healthy drinking 😉