Having a bath is something most people look forward to after a long day. You get to sit in your tub with some (not too hot) water, add a few drops of soap for some bubbles, and remove all your cares. Sometimes you may grab your favorite book or a glass of wine to make sure you’re able to relax completely.
However, the one thing you’re missing is a bath cushion. It keeps your head and neck from aching as you’re trying to enjoy the bath. But finding the best bath cushion can be challenging if you’re unsure what to look for. We’ll outline a few green flags you should consider when buying one to ensure it meets all your needs.
Durability and Comfort
One of the main factors you should focus on when buying a bath cushion is its durability. Since they come in various sizes and materials, you’ll need to find one with a lengthy lifespan. For materials, you should consider bath cushions that are made from durable plastic or have a vinyl exterior. Furthermore, the pillow should be able to withstand hot or cold temperatures and the bathing products you use.
The pillow you use should also be strong enough to support your head and neck when you lay on it. It wouldn’t do you any good having a cushion that makes it seem like you’re still laying on the tub.
To ensure that your bath cushion is comfortable and safe, it must be in a secure position at all times. Having one that constantly moves when you rest your head on it is dangerous and can interrupt your precious bathtime.
Find bath cushions with suction cups, enabling them to stick to the tub easily. You could also find a pillow with a counterweight that goes over the edge of the tub, ensuring that there’s no sliding when you start to lean back.
Easy to Clean
Another factor to consider for buying the best bathtub cushion is how easy it is to clean. The size and fabric will determine the methods you’ll need to use, but whatever you choose, the pillow needs regular cleaning.
After each use, it will hold a lot of water; if it’s not removed, mildew can start to form, causing the pillow to release a foul odor. So to clean your cushion and avoid mildew growth, here’s what you do:
- Fill the tub with lukewarm water and some mild detergent
- Let it soak for about an hour
- Scrub lightly with a toothbrush or cloth
- Rinse and dry thoroughly
You can also throw your bath cushion in the washing machine for a light cycle. But never put it in the dryer—the high temperatures can destroy the fabric, and you’ll have to get a replacement cushion. Instead, hang it in a cool dark place to air dry.
Meets Your Needs
Bathtub cushions come in various styles, so you’ll need to find one that meets your specific needs. Some pillows are designed to withstand hot temperatures, so if you love steamy baths, you should opt for that type. On the other hand, others are for hot and cold use, which would be ideal for people with sore muscles.
You’ll also need to consider the style of bathtub cushion you want. Here are a few different types to be aware of:
- Big headrest: These pillows resemble normal ones but are designed for head and neck support during bath time. But they can be challenging to store because of their bulkiness.
- Medium headrest: This is the cushion for you if you’re looking for extra back support. It’s ideal if you love taking a long soak, and you won’t feel uncomfortable or exposed with the added cushioning.
- Small headrest: Small bath cushions provide back support as your recline in the tub. But because of their size, they won’t cover your entire head.
- Flat back: Flat back cushions give your head and neck plenty of support. They won’t take up too much space and are ideal for smaller bathtubs. Plus, they’re easy to clean when you’re done bathing.
Consider These Factors When Looking for Bath Cushions
Bathtub cushions are an excellent way to enhance your bathtime. But before buying one, it’s important to know what to look for. Review our tips above and consider your needs to find the best pillow possible. Then you’ll never have to worry about being comfortable during bathtime again.