Pregnancy brings immense happiness to a woman and her family. They await a new member whose sweet smile and alluring actions will mesmerize everyone. But, while this is a time to rejoice, you may also feel anxious when discovering one of the worst nightmares, i.e., ‘Child Swapping.’ It sounds like something you’re more likely to see in soap operas than in real life. But the parental nightmare of babies switched at birth happens from coast to coast, in India and worldwide too. Popular TV shows like ABC’s Switched at Birth and even popular literature have explored horrifying yet fascinating topics. The good news is that a DNA Test for Child Swap can help accurately identify the couple’s biological child and help them reunite.
How Does a DNA Test for Baby Swap Help?
Children inherit half of their DNA from either parent. Now that Baby Swap DNA testing has become more prevalent, it is easier than ever to identify the actual parents of newborns. For a Child Swap DNA Test, the STR Profiling method is used.
The steps involved in DNA Tests for baby swaps are:
- Both the baby’s and the mother’s DNA samples are collected separately. Following the sampling, the DNAs are analyzed separately using the STR profiling method.
- The long-chain DNA molecule has 3 billion base pairs arranged in a specific order. These DNA molecules/strands are analyzed in smaller fragments in the lab using special reagents & techniques for ease of study.
- These smaller fragments are called Short Tandem Repeats (STRs). Then multiple copies of each STR are produced using the amplification process. This process is carried out using Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). Finally, capillary electrophoresis yields each individual’s characteristic DNA profile.
- The two DNA Profiles are then compared for similarity. The child is biological if the match is 99.99%, and if the match is 0% (or mismatch), it means the child isn’t biological.
DNA Testing is a foolproof way of identifying an individual and establishing a biological relationship between two or more people. DNA Tests for Baby Swap in Hospitals now give couples complete peace of mind & help shed their worries.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Baby Switching at Hospitals or Day Care Centres?
There are several ways to protect your baby from being swapped. The following are some:
- Contact the hospital where your delivery is scheduled ahead of time. Ask them specific questions about the measures they take to prevent an accidental baby swap. It’s your baby, and you have a right to ask this important question!
- Next, keep an eye on your baby’s location, especially when moving from one department to another, such as NICUs to labs.
- Check your baby’s identification tags whenever you are with them and definitely before you leave the hospital.
- Pay attention to your inner voice. If you feel strange about whether or not your baby is yours, speak it out and take the necessary actions.
- Preplan for Baby Swap DNA Test ahead of time from a reputed lab.
Real-Life Cases of Baby Swaps
Barpeta, Assam, India
The DNA test has turned the life of 2 families in Assam. A 3-year-old boy got switched at birth due to the registrar’s negligence. The event occurred at Farkaruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College in Barpeta, where two couples gave birth to babies, and one died. The hospital handed over the dead baby to the wrong couple, raising issues as their baby was healthy. Later, they got their baby back through a DNA test for child swap.
El Salvador, Central America
A British man and his Salvadoran wife gave birth to a baby boy at the Hospital Centro Ginecologico. The brown-skinned, dark-haired baby looked just like his mother—or so they thought. It turns out they went home to Texas with the wrong child. The couple raised the child for 3 months but got suspicious. A DNA test for child swap proved the baby wasn’t theirs. Later, the babies switched at birth were with their biological families. The couple’s baby was blonde & blue-eyed, like his British dad.
Despite the systems set in place, mistakes do happen intentionally or unintentionally. For example, newborn wrists and ankles are tiny, and the bands can slip off or be removed more easily than one may think. In addition, staff members may get lax & not follow proper protocols, or parents may be too exhausted to notice a change has occurred.
How Can DNA Forensics Laboratory Help in Child Swap Issues?
DNA Forensics Laboratory Pvt. Ltd. is one of India’s best DNA testing companies for accredited Peace of Mind relationship DNA tests, like a Baby Swap DNA Test in Hospitals.
Moreover, we are the only private DNA testing company to provide legal DNA tests for the courts. In addition, we perform every DNA Test for Child Swap in Hospitals in our state-of-the-art facility, using the highest standards for a 100% accurate and reliable test result.
Our testing facility is accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL), making our test results highly reliable. It doesn’t matter where you live. We are operating at 400+ centers in India. You can visit your nearest center to give the samples for a Baby Swap DNA Test at our center or call sample collection agents to your address for the same.
To learn more or book a DNA Test for Baby Swap in Hospitals, talk to our customer support executives at +91 8010177771 or WhatsApp at +91 9213177771.