You can file a wrongful death claim if you have lost your loved one due to someone else’s negligence. If they were severely injured in Wyoming, however, they had chances of recovery but, due to the doctor’s oversight, could not survive, you have all the rights to file a wrongful death case against the medical practitioner.
What is a wrongful death claim?
- A wrongful death claim can be made against a person held liable if someone else does due to their negligence.
- You can bring this claim into action if you are a close relative of the deceased.
- You are eligible to get compensation for loss of wages, funeral expenses, and loss of companionship through this process.
When can a medical practitioner be held liable?
There are many ways through which a hospital can be held liable for a wrongful death case, some of which are:
- Negligence of nurses or the doctor himself.
- Not providing proper supervision.
- Not having the right medical equipment available for the patient at the needed time.
- Giving the patient expired or incorrect medicines.
- Lack of staff in the hospital resulted in a lack of care and attention for patients.
- Surgical errors.
- Negligence that affected childbirth or pregnancy.
How can you sue a medical practitioner?
Medical malpractices have a shorter claim filing period as compared to other wrongful death claims. However, you will have to follow these tips to file a claim:
- Verify the statement
You must adequately verify your claim before filing a lawsuit against the doctor. This will prevent you from committing errors in your claim file. Your lawyer will help you with the entire process due to his knowledge and experience in dealing with similar cases.
- Gathering professional witnesses
Only people that are in the medical field can help in being witnesses of your case. For example, a doctor that treats similar patients can tell what went wrong in the treatment and what he would do in a similar situation.
- If you sue a medical practitioner, the hospital generally would not be held liable for it.
- Doctors and nurses are considered independent workers, and the hospital would not be responsible for their negligence.
- Your experienced attorney will help you with all the legal processes of the case.
- However, there are times when the practitioner is considered a legal part or owns the hospital, and if that is the case, the hospital can be held liable too.
The rules of a medical malpractice wrongful death claim differ everywhere, and your wrongful death attorney will help you understand the legal value of your case in detail.